Skip to main content

Filming in public spaces

Cemetery, cross headstones, bluebells

Any filming in Farnham requires permission from the relevant land owner or local authority if it is a public space.

Local authorities

If you want to film on public land you will need permission from the appropriate local authority or council. They are responsible for public land, public buildings, roads and parking. The UK screen agencies can help you get in touch with the appropriate local authority contact.

Local Authorities responsible for the Farnham area

Farnham Town Council Farnham Town Council owns some buildings such as the Council building in South Street, Wrecclesham Community Centre, the allotment sites, Gostrey Meadow and the four local cemeteries. The Town Council also runs many of the local events and manages the town’s floral displays.

Waverley Borough Council

Waverley Borough Council owns many of the open spaces in Farnham, including Farnham Park and the off road car parks. Application for student filming.

Surrey County Council Surrey Council Council owns and manages services such as the Library, the Adult Education Centre and is responsible for roads and transport.


You will need the full co-operation of the local police force if you plan to film on a public highway or use special effects, explosives or fire arms (including replicas). You will also need permission to portray uniformed police officers or marked police vehicles on film. You should inform the local police force in writing of any planned filming within its jurisdiction. The Surrey Film Office can help you arrange this process.

Filming on public roads

Before filming on a public road you must contact the local police and the Highways Department of the local authority. Both will need to make sure that your plans are safe and pose no threat to road users. Contact the Surrey Film Office for advice if you are planning stage stunts. You will need details of the safety conditions covering any tracking vehicles you hire and also find out what permissions and rights clearances have been granted at the location – for example, are you entitled to film the signage on any commercial premises in the area?

Advice about permission and rights clearances

If you film an actor inside a store or restaurant, you need written permission to use the location and also to show the chain’s name or trademark. If you film outside a store or restaurant you do not need permission to show its name or trademark – however, if the location chosen is used to communicate a negative message in your film (for example, a film about ‘poisoned restaurant food’) you may risk legal proceedings. You do not need to ask passers-by for permission to feature their faces in a film. Under UK law, the copyright of film shot in a public place resides with the filmmaker.

Useful links

British Film Commission

The British Film Commission (BFC) is the national agency with a remit to maximise and support the production of international feature film and television in the UK.

The BFC’s activities include: • Maximising and supporting the production of international feature film and television in the UK – England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. • Strengthening and promoting the UK’s production infrastructure • Working to ensure film-friendly policies are in place

See more at:

Creative England

Contact for help with: • Location finding and negotiations with location owners. • Useful local contacts – including the police and local authorities. • Local information – crew contacts, production facilities, accommodation and other useful support. See more at:

Film Surrey

Film Hamsphire

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No address available