“The neatest spot on earth – all there is garden.” William Cobbett describing Farnham.
Farnham is a town of outstanding Georgian architecture and a designated town of craft with a lively and artistic atmosphere. The museum aims to reflect this in a varied programme of exhibitions and events for adults and children alike. The museum was founded in 1961 to provide the Farnham community with a collection dedicated to the history of the local area in an elegant Grade I listed Georgian townhouse which still retains many original features, including a beautiful walled garden perfect for picnics. Displays include items from a large and eclectic collection; from archaeological artefacts to nationally important artworks by local artists and an extensive costume collection. The museum holds three major exhibitions per year which aim to please and surprise, from artistic collaborations to exhibitions designed for children and families.
Five things to see and do at the museum
1. Discover the history of a beautiful Grade I listed Georgian townhouse and its many occupants
2. Try the children’s trail or one of the activity packs for all ages
3. Have a look at the exhibitions and find out if you are an adventurous archaeologist or a civil war buff
4. See the wonderful history garden spanning from Roman gardening to a working World War II allotment
5. Join in with brass rubbing or a crafty half-term activity for children or sign up for Museum Club
If you’ve got a bit longer…
6. Ask at the local studies library for assistance with your latest school project
7. Have a picnic in the garden
8. Enjoy one of the new temporary exhibitions
9. Join the hunt for the hundred year old biscuit!
Audio guides, tours and children’s guides are available.
The Garden Gallery
A modern community venue for the town. The beautiful garden gallery in the museum garden is available for parties, conferences, exhibitions and weekly courses.
Hiring the Gallery
The gallery is self-contained and consists of a entrance hall, a main area, kitchen and toilet (disability accessible and baby changing). The building is fully wheelchair accessible and can accommodate up to 80 people. It is available for hire throughout the week, including evenings and weekends.
Open Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-5pm
Wheelchair access to ground floor, shop toilet, Garden Gallery and garden.
Museum of Farnham garden room