Standing for election

It is now too late to put yourself forward as a candidate in the 2019 local elections but you can find out if you are eligible to stand in a future election.

You can stand for election to a parish or town council if you are:

  • A British citizen, or a citizen of the Commonwealth or the European Union, and
  • 18 years or older on the day you become nominated for election.

And if …

  •  You are registered as a local government elector for the parish for which you want to stand; or
  •  You have, for the whole 12 month period up to the date of the election, occupied (as owner or tenant) land or other premises in the parish; or
  •  Your principal or only place of work during that same 12 months period has been in the parish;or
  •  You have during the whole of that same 12 month period resided in the parish or within 4.8 kilometres (3 miles) of it.

You may, of course, qualify under more than one of the above categories.

Standing as a parish councillor

Find out more about standing for election as a parish councillor on the National Association of Local Councils (NALC) website which provides these publications:

  • All about local councils – A NALC booklet for anyone wanting to know more about parish, town, neighbourhood and community councils and the role of councillors
  •  It takes all sorts: Local councils: represent your community, make a difference- NALC and Electoral Commission

Candidate resources

You can find guidance and resources for parish and community election candidates on the Electoral Commission parish and community election pages.

The Local Government Association have useful information at and take a look at the The Good Councillor’s guide

If you wish to stand for a particular party contact the local office of the political party for the process of becoming a candidate.

The electoral Commission has guidance for candidates which may be helpful.

For further details about the electoral process

Contact Electoral Services at Waverley Borough Council, The Burys, Godalming, GU7 1HR

Tel: 01483 523412