Museum of Farnham
The award winning Museum of Farnham is situated in an attractive Grade 1 Georgian town house dating from 1718, known as Wilmer House.
Come and discover Farnham’s rich history
“The neatest spot on earth – all there is garden.”
William Cobbett describing Farnham
Farnham is a town of outstanding Georgian Architecture and a designated town of craft with a lively and artistic atmosphere. We aim to reflect this in our varied programme of exhibitions and events for adults and children alike. The museum was founded in 1961 to provide the Farnham community with a collection dedicated to the history of the local area in an elegant Grade I listed Georgian townhouse which still retains many original features, including a beautiful walled garden perfect for picnics.
Our displays include items from a large and eclectic collection; from archaeological artefacts to nationally important artworks by local artists and an extensive costume collection.
We hold three major exhibitions per year which aim to please and surprise, from artistic collaborations to exhibitions designed for children. Phone us on 01252 715094 for more information on what’s coming up or take a look at our website:
The museum is perfect for a visit any time of year. There are lots of activities for children of all ages, and a safe enclosed garden for children to play in.
5 things to see and do at the museum
1. Discover the history of a beautiful Grade I listed Georgian townhouse and it’s many occupants
2. Try our children’s trail or one of our activity packs for all ages
3 Have a look at our exhibitions and find out if you are an adventurous archaeologist or a civil war buff
4. See the wonderful history garden spanning from Roman gardening to a working World War II allotment
5. Join in with our crafty half-term activities for children or sign up for Museum Club
If you’ve got a bit longer…
6. Ask at the local studies library for assistance with
your latest school project
7. Have a picnic in the garden
8. Come and enjoy one of our new temporary exhibitions
9. Join the hunt for the hundred year old biscuit!
Audio guides, tours and children’s guides are available.
The Garden Gallery
A new community venue for the town. The beautiful new building in the museum garden is available for parties, conferences, exhibitions and weekly courses.
Please email museum(at) for more information or call 01252 715 094 farnhammaltings.com
Open Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-5pm
Wheelchair access to ground floor, toilet, Garden Gallery and garden (access statement available online.)
And there’s more!
• Gift shop and brass rubbing
• Schools Education Service
• Changing exhibition and events programme
• The Farnham and District Museum Society
38 West Street, Farnham, Surrey, GU9 7DX