National Trust

Escape the rush and find the perfect walk, cycle route or picnic spot and explore our natural environment.

As well as Frensham Little and Great Ponds why not admire the views from the Devil’s Punch Bowl or across the weald from Gibbett Hill in Hindhead or ramble 705 acres of open heathland on Ludshott Common, Grayshott.

In fact Hindhead Commons and the Devil’s Punch Bowl were one of the earliest acquistions for the National Trust in 1906 thanks to local Hindhead resident Sir Robert Hunter. This area is now designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (ANOB) and with an abundance of wildlife the area is also an area of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).




Victoria Garden

Created on the site of the former Victorian open-air swimming baths. Entrance through the archway off South Street reveals a wonderful planting of roses, clematis, lavenders, hebes and sedums as well a giant chessboard, a mosaic hopscotch, and a mini-maze, that children love. The garden is managed by the Farnham Swimming Baths Trust with the support and help of a dedicated group of Friends.

In 2013 Victoria Garden was awarded outstanding in the Small Parks category for the South and South East in Bloom region of Britain in Bloom. The garden has also gained a ‘Certificate of Achievement’ in the Champion of Champions category and another Outstanding Award in the Royal Horticultural Society/South and South East in Bloom ‘It’s your Neighbourhood’ community gardens category.

 




Gostrey Meadow

The large grassed area has an excellent children’s playground, access to paddling in the river Wey, War Memorial and a bandstand which hosts with numerous musical events throughout the summer, making a perfect spot to relax and spend a lazy day or hour.

From the Gostrey Meadow follow the River Wey through Borelli Walk towards the Shepherd and Flock roundabout and the start of the North Downs Way, perhaps catching a glance of the resident egret on the way.




Farnham Park

This green flag status, 130 hectare medieval deer park, with its impressive one kilometre tree lined Kings Avenue offers tranquility, walking paths, two excellent playgrounds (including a brand new, wooden castle play structure), football pitches to hire, a golf course, a cricket pitch and a café and toilets.

‘To walk under the gnarled, ancient boughs of the Park’s oaks, and realise these are the same trees that Kings and Queens rode past some 500 years past, gives you an enormous sense of continuity and wellbeing’   There is also a famous quote from Alfred Lord Tennyson on his visit to Farnham Park in 1853   “…the Park here is delicious…”

For more information including wildlife and history leaflets including “The wildlife of Farnham Park” see the Farnham Park website.

 

Playground Farnham Park 2015 copyright FTC

Playground Farnham Park 2015 copyright FTC

 

 




Bishop’s Meadow

The Bishop’s Meadows are one of the few remaining water meadows in this part of Britain and have been in existence since at least AD 687.

Set in the heart of Farnham and bordered by the clear, chalk fed waters of the River Wey, their 35 acres of hay and flower meadowland are a haven for wildlife and an important part of Farnham’s agricultural heritage. They are classified as a Site of Nature Conservation Importance and home to a wide range of wildlife including egrets, kingfishers, bats, grass snakes, voles and the occasional deer.

Like Farnham Park and Farnham Castle, the Meadows were once the property of the Bishops of Winchester. Now they are owned by the Bishop’s Meadows Trust which manages the land for the benefit of the people of Farnham as a pleasant place to play, picnic, stroll, walk the dogs or just sit. The meadows has a community orchard for six Farnham schools whose children recently planted 30 fruit trees – five for each school to care for, study and enjoy .