Farnham: Developing our Community
‘Farnham – Developing our Community’ has been produced after consultation with residents’ associations, businesses, local developers and conservation groups across the town and in neighbouring boroughs. This included a series of workshops and other meetings, and providing a draft for further comment. The views of all the organisations and their members have been represented as fairly as possible, together with those of individual members of the public. This exercise was in line with current government thinking, which seeks to give a greater say on planning for the future to local communities. It has been produced as part of a process which will lead to the development of a full Neighbourhood Plan for the town and its surrounding villages.
This builds on work undertaken previously, in 2010, when the residents of Farnham produced a Farnham Design Statement, which had the following aims:
- To develop guidelines which will have a positive influence on the town
- To represent the views of local residents about future development in the areas in which they live
- To raise awareness of the important features of the town and its surrounding villages and countryside
- To conserve the best of the architecture by ensuring that any new development respects and complements the area’s character
- To ensure a sustainable and attractive environment for future generations
- To assist developers and architects in providing developments which are appropriate to Farnham
This document follows the aims of the Localism Bill, which seeks to allow local communities to influence the future of the places in which they live.
The key message is that, whilst residents would welcome some development in the town, they wish that development to be sensitive to the town’s nature and history and for the necessary infrastructure to be provided as well. New development must be able to be readily absorbed into the town, without damage to its essential character and structure. It would also now require considerable further investment in infrastructure such as schools and transport.
For more information please contact Russell Reeve on 01252 712667 or email russell.reeve(at)farnham.gov.uk
We are currently making improvements to our website, as a result users may experience difficulties. If you are having trouble accessing information please call 01252 712667. Thank you for your patience.